Thursday, January 22, 2009

Making Connections and Sinking Roots

We've been in Canberra over 6 years now and I think I've finally resigned myself to the fact that the "no more than 5 years" remark was a bit of a dream...we're here for the long haul. But i'm still living half my life in Brisbane and half my life in Canberra and sometimes that is really hard. There are so many times that I wish I could just pop over and see my folks and see Alex cuddle up to his Nanny or kiss a friend who just gave birth to twins.

I complained for years that it was too hard to make new friends in a new place, especially in such a transient place as Canberra is. People often remarked that it becomes easier when you have kids - well, easier it may be but I still would not say it was easy! My son, Alex, is 9 months old now and it is only with the new year of 2009 that i have made it out and about to those meetings and groups that I told myself I would do within 2 months of him being born!! But, I did it, the hardest part was walking out the door. No, not just the physical act of getting myself out the door with a 9 month old and all the baggage and organisation that goes along with an outing, but actually summoning up the courage and squishing all the excuses I'd used to stop myself before! Once I got there it was great, lovely friendly people that were fun and interesting to talk to! Of course, Alex jumped straight in there and started playing when I just wanted to cling to him and hide behind his smile! I doubt I will ever find the true, deep friendships that I have in my hometown, the ones so full of history and beautiful memories that no one could replace them. The trick is to stop trying to replace those friendships, and...well...just enjoy the moment I guess. Oh, and remember to nurture those new growing friendships as you would a tiny sapling. To create deep roots you need good nutrient rich soil, lots of water and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment