Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Little Things
I’ve learnt heaps since becoming a Mum. Things that you can only learn by being there and living the moment and learning every step of the way what works for you and your little newly created individual. People will give you advice and ideas, but at the end of the day it’s your instincts that get through for the most part! I just wish I had an instinct about toys. I’ve grown up in a western, consumer-orientated society. Somehow I’ve become tainted by all these bright, shiny things that are thrown in our faces day after day and I believed that babies and toddlers needed these specially-created pretty toys to be entertained. My son has taught me that the simplest things are far more entertaining most of the time.

Alex has a couple of tubs full of baby toys and yet the most exciting things, the things that he plays with the most are those things that are not specially designed for babies – the remote control is a great toy – even though he rarely even looks at the television (thankfully) – a tissue is fun to hold on to for a while and then tear into tiny little pieces; a piece of paper is great to swish across the carpet – a plastic cup makes a great sounds when you put it over your mouth and blow noises into it. But the greatest thing of all at the moment is just being outside, Alex wriggles around in my arms, shrieks and waves his arms in excitement as soon as we approach the back door and I say the magic word “outside”! He loves crawling around looking at the trees, touching the grass, hearing the birds twittering and generally discovering little things! ROCKS are the greatest – don’t give me plastic colourful blocks or balls, just give me a pile of little sandstone rocks and I’ll happily play with them…banging them on the concrete, picking up one in each hand and banging them together , making little piles and examining each one with intent curiosity!

I know it’s not just my baby either, a friends little one has a favourite toy too – an empty plastic soft drink bottle! I’ve made the mistake many times of looking at a toy and impressing my own views of entertainment onto it, forgetting that even the smallest, most insignificant everyday item can be fascinating to a 9 month old!


Which is also why you have to watch them VERY closely whilst they are discovering things!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to blogging Cheryl! I hope you enjoy it. It really is nice to sit down and reflect on the day to day stuff and to record it too. I'm sure Alex will cherish it one day as a memoir of his childhood. He is looking so cute too!

    ReplyDelete