Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Homegrown Goodness

My veggie patch has been a little neglected over the past year – being heavily pregnant and then looking after a tiny little person - I haven’t spent much time tending it. I did however, have a spare moment to plant some potato eyes a few months ago, and yesterday I reaped the rewards! Over 6kgs of yummy potatoes dug up from a few metres outside my back door. FANTASTIC! Potatoes must be the easiest vegetable to grow – as long as you have some nice friable soil, just throw in some seed potatoes, cover with soil and some straw and pray for a little rain to water them in! A few months later when the all the green tops have died down and you wonder if there is anything at all buried in the ground…dig, dig, dig and discover these little gems!

I can’t wait till Alex is old enough to be out there digging with me and discovering that real edible food grows in the ground and comes out covered in DIRT!
Give them a little wash throw in them in a pan with some olive oil and some herbs(also home grown!) and some spices, in the oven for 30 minutes and yummo, super delicious roasties to go with our Australia Day Lamb Roast! Next year I hope there will be a few more things that we can harvest for our Australia Day dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment