Sunday, May 15, 2011

Can you?

I recently cooked mince for the first time in my slow cooker. I didn't really think about it I just did it because it was easier to prepare dinner and throw it in the cooker to do all the work and be ready at 6pm without me having to do anything during the "witching hour" with two kids screaming at me for attention!

That night after chowing down on a delicious spag bol I checked my facebook page to see that a friend had had an unsuccessful attempt at mince in the slow cooker and found that there was a little controversy about whether or not you can or should attempt this feat!

Well, I'm here to say that in my experience you can and it can indeed turn out nicely - sure it's no masterchef meal but it's great for my family and the mince is so tender that it is perfect for my 7 month old to have a try at eating meat without having to puree anything.

I tend to be a bit of a "chuck in a bit of this and that and hope for the best" cook so I can't quite say what exactly I put into this meal but it went a little something like this:

500gms minced beef
1 tin diced tomatoes
1 diced carrot
1/2 a diced capsicum
2 teaspoons minced garlic
4 tblspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
a handful of fresh herbs - I used oregano, thyme and basil
Salt and pepper to taste

I think I added a sachet of tomato paste as well?

Chuck it all in and cook on low for 7hours (approx)

I think the trick is not to put too much liquid in or it will be too soggy.

You can put in onion or celery or whatever veg you normally use or try different herbs and spices to taste - a dash of chilli never goes astray but I didn't have any on hand that day.

Of course all you have to do when your ready to eat is cook you spaghetti and grate some cheese for the top.

I'd love to hear how you go and what your thoughts are on mince and slow cookers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment