Monday, May 14, 2012

Potatoes!

I have found potatoes to be one of the easiest and most successful crops in my garden in Canberra. Plant, leave, wait till tops die off and dig up a lovely crop of fresh spuds! This year I went through a purple phase in the vegie garden. We planted purple capsicums (fail), purple beans (successful, till the dog ate them all), purple carrots (quite good) and purple potatoes (very successful and yummy).

The most enjoyable part of the vegie patch for me is getting the kids to help me harvest and see/hear their utter joy. It's a bit like a treasure hunt when harvesting potatoes because you never know how many you are going to find! We had fun. Master four could be heard squealing "look Mummy a potato" "ooohh another one" "look how big this one is Mummy". Miss One enjoyed digging in the dirt and then washing them off in a bucket of water!











No comments:

Post a Comment